Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Shrimp Proctologist


In the midst life shutdown 2020 (Covid-19) I found that I have a new life skill, which I am not sure I want to put on my resume, but certainly fun enough to tell ya'll about. 

Yesterday I went to the Mexican Market to purchase provisions.  I am a huge fan of their meat market.  I get most of my meat there, and often they have great deals on seafood.    Case in point, Shrimp was $3.49 a pound last night.

The trade off of amazingly fresh shrimp for a great price is the fact that they aren't really "prepared" as many of us are having done prior to purchase.  These little lovelies had their heads chopped off but nothing else.   

I decided to make Air Fryer Shrimp with them, and dredge them my amazing Winco Chicken Fry Batter.... 

But before I could do that, I needed to pop the skins off.   Which wasn't really hard to do.  In doing that, I realized that this particular group of shrimp were um... full of shit.   Now I know some people don't care about shrimp poop, but personally, I can't do that.  I like the butterfly look too,  so I pulled out the paring knife and went to work....

The Bottom ones are waiting for the proctologist.

It only takes a couple to get it down, you take a paring knife and trace down their little spines, then take your nail, and flip the two parts open and rinse under water.     Not rocket science.   I did 3 pounds of them, giggling the entire time telling each of the shrimps that it would just take a second, and yelling "next" as I picked up my next patient.

After finishing all of them, I dipped them in an egg wash, and then tossed them into the Winco batter, and popped into the airfryer.

and here is what the finished product looked like. 

The Finished Product.

They were quite delicious, we ate them artichokes, which was also good but not photo worthy.

We also had Ceviche which I made from the beautiful basa from the Mexican Market which was photo worthy. 



And I paired it with Ruby Shoes - a cocktail from Napa Valley Distillery.

You take 2 oz of the Makrut Lime Brandy, 1/2 oz NVD Red Raspberry Shrub, 1/2 oz Lime Juice and a few drops of Orange Bitters,  Shaken.  Which I did, but I then put it over ice, because that's how I prefer it.


and... due to the Shelter in Place... we had dinner, and drinks, and the kitchen was cleaned up by by 6:03 p.m.   Gonna make me into an early bird.

No comments: